Monday, September 5, 2011

Fall is coming!



(a pic of my b-e-a-utiful Colorado run...I kind of like this place;-)
My favorite season is upon us...FALL is in the air!  Yesterday in Colorado it was a crisp 68 degrees-My favorite running and baking weather!  I was so excited when I found out I didn't have to work at the hospital today for my internship; I knew exactly the two things I would do-Go on a long run in the mountains, and make a fall soup.  One of my favorite soups to make during the cooler weather months is a butternut pumpkin stew.  This evening, I twisted my pumpkin recipe with one I found in a GF recipe book (200 gluten-free recipes by Hamlyn) and came up with a Sweet potato, squash, & coconut soup.  I would have to say this is probably one of my new favorite soups!  It smells wonderful and definitely welcomes fall with the aromatic blend of spices and winter veggies. 
Along with the soup I made GF popovers.  I found this recipe in another GF cookbook of mine-it was super easy and they're very tasty!  Enjoy!


Sweet Potato, Squash, & Coconut Soup
Serves 4
Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into thin slices
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
(or you can cheat and buy a bag of frozen, cubed butternut squash)
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 T olive oil
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes, plus extra to garnish
3 2/3 cups gluten free veggie or chicken stock
3/4 c lite coconut milk
1 tsp garam masala
salt and black pepper
Chicken sausage links (precooked), sliced into thin coins and halved
Put the sweet potatoes, squash, onion and garlic on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle over the cumin seeds and drizzle w/ the oil.  Place in a preheated oven, 400 degrees, and roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and golden.  Place sliced chicken sausage coins on a separate pan and place in oven for ~7-10 minutes until just heated through and browned.
Tip the roasted veggies into a large saucepan with the pepper flakes and stock, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the remaining ingredients, heat through until piping hot and then puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.  Serve, garnished with a pinch of chili flakes if liked, and with popovers.

This recipe is: gluten free and dairy free!  (vegetarian & vegan if chicken sausage is omitted and veggie stock is used)
*Garam masala is a preblended spice mixture that you can find in either supermarkets, natural food stores, or Indian markets.
It is widely used in Indian recipes.
 It is made of cardamom, cloves, mace, cinnamon, cumin, fennel, black peppercorns, and fenugreek.

GF Popovers
Ingredients:
4 large eggs
3 T melted butter
1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk (almond, rice, regular)
1 cup GF all purpose flour mix
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Whisk together the eggs, butter, and milk in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk the flour w/ the xanthan gum and salt, then gradually sift and whisk into the liquid ingredients until you have a smooth batter.  (Will be very liquidy!)
3.  Pour the batter into the greased cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
4.  Bake for 25 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until the popovers are deep brown.  Removed from the oven, let firm for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve immediately.
Yield: 12 popovers
(This recipe can be made exactly the same with all purpose flour instead of GF flour-just omit the xanthan gum and substitue all purpose for GF flour.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Popovers resemble cream puffs without the cream; If you're in need of a dessert for the next day, create a cream filling and make cream puffs with leftover popovers!

Ingredients for Coffee Flavored Cream Filling

2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
1 teaspoon instant espresso
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions:
Stir together coffee liqueur and instant espresso until blended. Beat heavy cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add liqueur mixture and powdered sugar, and beat until soft peaks form.
-And no, this filling is not exactly the "nutritious" part of my blog buuut....Everyone needs a little dessert here and there, right?!

1 comment:

  1. This soup sounds crrraaazy amazing... and I want it right now!
    I am going to attempt this... but I would rather you just do it for me. haha.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com