Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fish Tacooooooos!

It has been a while since my last blog...I moved to Colorado Springs last weekeend and have been very "busy," if you will....very busy riding bikes and working at the WIC clinic and Rehab Hospital.  I have managed to at least make meals every other night for us and a baked item on the off days.  I say A day out of the kitchen is a day without sunshine!  I must say it can be challenging cooking in boys' kitchens; using glad tupperware for mixing bowls, one sole measuring cup, etc..but we've made it work and Shad's roommate, Ashley, has graced their kitchen with mixing bowls this time...We're getting pretty fancy around here;-)
It has been super fun getting to cook for four people... One of the meals I made this weekend was fish tacos-they are quite easy and I have revamped your standard fish taco w/ high fat dressing sauce, to a healthy, guilt-free delight :-)  I have created this recipe over the past two years, tweaking the ingredients each time I make it.  The last time I finally remembered to jot it down...so here you have it!  Hope you enjoy!
Fish Tacos
Rice:
To start, I always put my rice on the stove to start cooking.  You can either use brown rice or quinoa mixed with a little black rice.  This time, my ratio was:
3/4 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup black rice to 2.5 cups water. 
Combine the two and let it cook on med (covered) until all water is cooked off.  

Beans:
You can use any type of beans you prefer; I used 2 cans of black beans and added 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 garlic clove, and a chopped roasted chili pepper from the market.  Cook on stove until beans are tender.

Fish Marinade:
 3-4 T extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay™
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 pound tilapia fillets (use any type you prefer)
Combine all ingredients in a plastic baggie, coating thoroughly.  Cook on grill until fish flakes, or temps out at 135 degrees.  (Can cook on the stovetop as well) Chop fish into chunks.

Mango Salsa:
1 mango, diced
1.5 avocados, diced
5 cherry tomatoes, chopped
¼ white onion, chopped
4 large mint leaves, chopped
I T fresh cilantro, chopped
2 T olive oil
½ lime, squeezed
Dash salt and pepper
¼ tsp chili powder
 Combine all ingredients, mixing until just combined.  Set aside.

Creamy Chipotle Dressing:
1 cup plain yogurt (I used soy or dairy free)
½ tsp chili powder
1/ 4 tsp cumin
2 drops lemon juice
Combine all ingredients, mixing until just combined.  Set aside.

 Shells:
You can either buy hard taco shells (100% corn) or make your own.  I made ours by lightly spraying a frying pan w/ olive oil then browning corn tortillas until hardened, slowing folding in half.

Assembly:
To assemble, take shell and line the bottom with fish. Next add beans, then mango salsa, and drizzle with creamy chipotle dressing.  Garnish with cilantro  and purple cabbage shreds.  Serve rice and beans on the side. Enjoy!


Quick shortcuts:  If you are in a hurry and want to whip this recipe up quick, here are a few tips.  Instead of making a mango salsa, buy a gluten free, pre made salsa at the grocery store. Chop up ½ an avocado and ½ a tomato and add to salsa. 
Next, buy premade tortilla shells.
For beans, heat up a can or two of beans-you don’t need to add any thing extra.
Rice-use instant and heat in your microwave.

This recipe is gluten-free and dairy free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com