Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Balsamic Quinoa Salad

I have been looking and looking for a good quinoa salad recipe-there are tons out there, but I never quite like the looks of any of the recipes I find.  This weekend, I experimented and came up with this for a family bbq.  It is vegetarian and gluten free!  If feta is omitted, the salad is vegan and dairy free as well. 
People ate it on tortilla chips as a dip, (which I did not intend, but it worked!) with crackers, or as a side salad.  If anyone has any good quinoa salad recipes, I'd love to hear from you!
Balsamic Quinoa Salad
(Excuse the lovely droid photography-not a photographer, but you get the picture;-)
Ingredients:
1 Red Onion, chopped into thin slices
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil + 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
½ c. toasted slivered almonds
½ c craisins
1 apple, diced into small pieces
½ c carrots, chopped
2 bunches green scallions, chopped into small rounds
4 cups veggie stock
1.5 cups quinoa
½ c black rice
½ cup reduced fat feta cheese (optional)
¾-1cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp parsley
Garlic Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions: 
In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in the 2 tsp oil and vinegar.  Remove and set aside.  Next, toast almonds in pan until just browned.  Remove and set aside. 
Bring Veggie stock to a boil and then add quinoa and rice.  Simmer on med-low heat, covered, for ~20 minutes or until all water is soaked up. (Do not stir while cooking-cook like rice)
Next, add craisins, apple, carrots,  and scallions.  Stir well and add onion/garlic mixture. 
Lastly, add balsamic, olive oil, parsley, garlic salt and pepper.  Gently stir.  Can add more balsamic for a richer flavor as needed.
Gently stir in feta and almonds immediately before serving.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com