Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Focaccia Beer Bread-(Not Gluten free!)

Note: A friend tried this recipe with gluten free beer and said it worked great...substitute the flour with a GF all purpose flour mixture, and a GF beer, and you will have a GF version of this wonderful beer bread!

The recipe posted below is not gluten free bread!This is probably the only non GF recipe I will post, but I wanted to post an awesome recipe I used to make quite frequently.  I made this recipe a few days ago for the rest of the people who ate dinner w/ us....It is quick, easy, super good & tastes like you've been slaving for hours making a homemade yeast bread!  Due to the yeast in beer, added yeast and time to rise is not needed.
Below is my Herbed Beer Bread recipe; you can't mess it up! (You don't even have to measure perfectly w/ ingredients-Trust me, I tested that out w/ the "no-measuring cup kitchen" I'm living in ;-) If we had whole wheat flour on hand, I would have definitely subbed the 3 cups all purpose w/ 1.5 cups whole wheat and 1.5 c all purpose to make a healthier, whole grain bread.  You can also use a light beer to decrease calories.
My next project: to create a gluten free beer bread... Possibly gluten free beer (made from sorghum instead of barley) and my GF flour mix?!...we will see!
 This time, here is what I made:
Focaccia Beer Bread
3 Cups All-purpose flour
1 T baking powder
3 T sugar (or honey)
 1 tsp salt
1 good beer (bottle or can)
(See herbed variation for additions to make the bread that is pictured)
Preheat oven to 375.
Mix all ingredients minus the beer together. Pour beer in and mix until forms dough ball.  On a greased, round pizza pan, spread dough flat and evenly with hands until evenly distributed.  Bake for ~20-25 minutes or until the top is browned and the center is no longer doughy.
Cut into squares for focaccia bread.  Enjoy!

Variations:
Herbed; Add 3 T Herbs de Provence spice mixture (or a mixture of rosemary, lavender, thyme, basil) + 1 T dehydrated garlic to flour mixture.  Add 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice to top the last 10 minutes of baking.
Cheesy; Add 1/4 cup of your fav. cheese to flour mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top as well for last 10 mins of baking.
Hearty Whole grain: Use 1.5 cups all purpose flour and 1.5 cups whole wheat flour  in the place of 3 c all purpose. (I recommend this version to get your whole grains!)
Add 1-2 T of flaxseed or flaxseed meal.
Poppyseed: Add poppyseeds to top in the last 15 minutes of baking
Oatmeal: Add oatmeal to top in the last 15 minutes of baking. (Make sure when adding dough is still sticky enough that oats stick)
Once again, you can't mess this bread up.  Experiment with it and have fun! Avocados, bananas, added honey for a sweeter bread, sesame seeds, etc are all fun additions to try!
Baking Pans:
 Focaccia bread: spread dough on a greased round pizza pan w/ hands, (flouring hands or spraying w/ noncook spray to spread dough) make slight indents with your thumbs all over dough, and drizzle top w/ olive oil.  (Bake for approx 20-25 mins)

Loaf Bread: Grease loaf pan, pour in dough, and bake @ 375 for ~ 40-50 mins (Makes great slices of bread)

Baguettes: Form into long thin baguette-shapes on a greased baking pan. Bake ~ 25 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com