Friday, September 23, 2011

Check out this fun blog...and these Coffee-Lover Brownies!

For all of you who love desserts, but can't touch them without devouring half  the entire pan at once, my friend, Amy, showed me a sweet new blog with fun desserts that won't matter if you slip up and eat a little more than intended;-)  This blog uses beans...yes, beans in many of her dips, pies and cakes and bakes up great looking creations!  Check out Katie's blog at http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
I must say that recipes like black bean brownies weirded me out a bit at first when I discovered them a few years ago...Some recipes I've tried are NOT good and taste like one big pureed bean that is baked in a pan..but low and behold, I have come up with my own GF Espresso Black Bean Brownie recipe and they are edible, high in fiber, low fat, and mmm mmm good!  They satisfy a serious chocolate craving, and if you accidently eat a few too many in one sitting, you may just meet your recommended fiber intake for the day:-)
When I have a kitchen of my own (in one week!!!) I look forward to trying new variations of this recipe; Banana Blondies (with great northern beans)...spiced pumpkin black bean brownies, etc....I also would like to cut back on the sugar/use another form of sweetener. Dates, agave nectar and honey are next on my list to try. Due to this particular recipe being very low in fat, the flavor has to come from some where, unfortunately. But-the amount of sugar used is still less than half of what your standard brownie recipes call for... any other fun suggestions???? Below are my Espresso Brownies-They are super EASY...feel free to use any kind of nut, mint extract (for Girl Scout Brownies), varying dark chocolates, etc and don't forget to have a nice cup of coffee on the side! 
Gluten Free
Espresso Black Bean Brownies
 
1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
3 eggs
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup cocoa +3  T
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons almond extract
½ tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp instant coffee granules (or finely ground espresso)
½ cup toasted walnut halves or pecans
1/2 cup unsweetened carob chips or dark chocolate chips  (I like to chunk up whole dark chocolate bars-Green & Black and Choco Love brands are my favorite:-)
 
Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2 Lightly grease 8x8 square baking dish.
Spread walnuts on a plate and microwave for a minute 20 seconds to roast.  Remove and set aside.
3 Combine the black beans, eggs, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, almond extract, and sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.  Stir in chips, walnuts and instant coffee granules. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4 Bake in a preheated oven until the top is dry and edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 25 minutes. (fudge-like) 30 mins (cake like)
Remove from oven and enjoy!

Makes 20 bite-sized brownies.
*These brownies are gluten free and dairy free (if carob chips are used).  Freeze in ziplock baggies for quick go-to treats that will last for months in your freezer...(if you forget about them;-)

(This chocolate is AHhh-mazing.  Want ginger brownies? Here you have it! Try all 24 flavors to make all sorts of flavored brownie creations!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com