Friday, June 29, 2012

~Sonoma Chicken Salad~



The other day I had a super tasty chicken salad from Whole Food's buffet/prepared foods-I LOVE more than anything curried chicken or turkey salads, but this time I decided to try something different.  The poppyseeds caught my eye on this particular one...It was their Sonoma Chicken Salad, and it was sooo tasty.  This salad is great if you want a mild chicken salad to top spinach leaves or roll up in a wrap.  I tweaked the full-fat mayo recipe to a much lighter alternative that uses plain yogurt...I also added fresh garden lavender for a fun twist.  If you prefer a creamier, mayo-like salad, use 1/2 c plain yogurt & 1/2 c  low fat mayo.
*To save time, simply buy a cooked rotisserie chicken, remove skin, and chunk.
Sonoma Chicken Salad
INGREDIENTS
1 c plain yogurt
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
5 tsp honey
2 tsp poppy seeds
salt and pepper

2 lbs chicken breast, cooked and chunked
3/4 cup pecan pices, toasted
1 c chopped red apple
2 c red grapes
3 stalks celery, chopped
DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine first 5 ingredients and mix well.  In a separate bowl, combine the last 5 ingredients and stir together.  Slowly pour yogurt mixture on top of chicken mixture and stir until just mixed. 


 -----------------------------
This chicken salad is great on top of a bed of spinach, rolled in a gluten free wrap, or made into a sandwich.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com