Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cake Mix Banana Cake!

Have overripe bananas? Any baked good involving bananas is sure to please!  I tried this extra moist banana cake recipe last week when I needed a dessert for a dinner party.  I had overripe bananas, and a random gluten free cake mix...Cakemixdoctor.com helped me out with this amazing, super-addicting recipe.  This cake is great for a quick bar to take to a picnic, bbq, dessert party, etc.  If you want to dress it up a bit, you can add a cream cheese frosting. (Although I was impressed with no frosting, as it is very sweet and full of banana flavor!) Enjoy this quick treat!
Note: I simply substituted a gluten free cake mix for a regular mix in this recipe to make it GF; therefore, it can be made with any regular or gluten free cake mix.  The mix I used (and loved) for this recipe was by the company Namaste.  
Be sure to note how many ounces are in your cake mix.  For ex, if using Namaste mix, removed 1 cup of the dry mix before using as there are 26 ounces in the mix. (Any cake mix brand should work great!)

Cake Mix Banana Cake!
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) plain white or yellow cake mix (Gluten free or regular)
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 ripe medium-size bananas, mashed (About 1 cup)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts, optional
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9x13 in baking pan.
  2. Place cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, 1 cup water, oil, & eggs. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down side of bowl with rubber spatula. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed until well blended, scraping side again if needed.  Gently stir in walnuts if desired. Pour into prepared pan, and place on center rack of oven.
  3. Bake until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack. (cake will seem very moist...I ended up baking mine about 46 minutes at altitude) Sprinkle top with powdered sugar, if desired.
This cake is gluten free and dairy free (if using Namaste mix)!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little "pinteresting" in the crafts category aside of baking & cooking...A table runner I made with inspiration from a burlap runner I came across on the one and only, Pinterest;-)  Someday I hope to actually read patterns and share them with readers-for now, no patterns and solely pictures + experimentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com