Sunday, July 1, 2012

Crunchy Gingerbread Granola




After I posted my Cranberry Nut Granola recipe a few months ago, I decided to experiment around & make a chunky, gingerbread-like recipe.

I know it's not quite gingerbread season, but in my mind, any time is good for gingerbread, pumpkin, sweet potato, etc! You can use any variety of nut or dried fruit you prefer. Enjoy!
Crunchy Gingerbread Granola


INGREDIENTS
1 T honey
1 T blackstrap molasses
1 T canola oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 pinch sea salt
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (GF oats for GF)
2 T halved pecans
1/4 cup dried, pitted dates, cut in 1/4ths


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350
Mix honey, molasses, oil, spices and salt in a large bowl, using a whisk.
Add the oats and pecans and stir until thoroughly coated with the molasses mixture.
Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, and spread the oat mixture evenly onto the baking sheet.
Bake for ~12 minutes until lightly browned, stirring every 5 minutes to cook evenly.  To make chunky granola, simply stir and form small chunks throughout cooking.  
Remove from oven, stir in dates, and cool completely.


This recipe is gluten free if GF oats are used.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com