Monday, August 22, 2011

Rosemary Sweet Potato Soup


Today I finished up one of my assignments for my internship-Along with the assignment was a recipe I was asked to create.  I am working for CSU Dining Services right now and have been working with food allergy students, special diets/menus, etc.  I created the recipe to be suitable for many populations; It is free of the top 8 allergens;
  • Milk

  • Eggs

  • Soy

  • Peanuts

  • Tree nuts

  • Fish

  • Shellfish

  • Wheat

  • I also made the soup vegetarian and vegan.

    For those of you with "normal diets," you can substitute regular dairy milk for rice milk.  Chicken sausage can be cooked and added at the end for a more substantial soup as well.  Hope you enjoy!

    Rosemary Sweet Potato Soup
    Ingredients:
                2 large carrots, diced
                2 medium golden or red potatoes, chunked in ½” chunks (do not peel)
                2 med-large sweet potatoes, chunked in 1/2” chunks (do not peel)
                1 purple onion, chopped
                4 cups GF vegetable stock
                2 cups rice milk, unsweetened
                2 Cloves garlic, minced
                1/4 tsp pepper         
                1/2 tsp salt
                1 tsp rosemary, crushed
                ½ tsp thyme
                1 tsp celery seed
                1 T parsley

    Preparation:
    1.     Chop potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic into indicated forms.
    2.      In a medium pot, add veggie stock, carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic. 
    3.     Boil veggies on high heat for 10-15 minutes until carrots, onions and potatoes are tender. 
    5.     Once tender, add crushed rosemary, thyme and celery seed.  Stir to mix well and simmer for another 2 minutes. 
    6.     Remove half of the soup mixture and place in a blender or food processor.  Process until soup is in a pureed form.  Next, pour the pureed soup back into the pot that contains the other half of the chunky mixture.
    7.     Turn the soup down to low and slowly add milk, pepper, salt and parsley.  Simmer another 2 minutes or until soup starts to thicken and simmer.
    8.     Season to preferred taste.
     Can be served with gluten free cornbread muffins or a gluten free multigrain bread.

    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    About Me

    My photo
    Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com