Saturday, August 27, 2011

Blueberry Cornbread Muffins

I am home visiting my family this weekend-This means I have people to cook for! Aside from hiking Mt. Sneffles today (a 14-er outside of Ouray, Co) with my brother and his girlfriend, the next highlight of my weekend is cooking/baking for the fam.  Tonight I wanted to bake a quick muffin for breakfast in the morning.  Since I don't have my GF flour mix here, I had to resort to one of my favorite prepackaged GF mixes, and throw a few extra ingredients in.  I have tried a few prepackaged gluten free mixes over the past couple years...I am usually not a fan and would much rather make all my recipes from scratch.  This particular recipe is so simple, healthy and tasty...AND it uses one package of  Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix.   This mix is definitely one of the best mixes I've tasted (and even beats making homemade cornbread in my opinion).  This gluten free Blueberry Cornbread Muffin recipe can be made for dessert, a snack, or breakfast and only takes about 25 minutes from start to finish....Hope you enjoy!

**This recipe can be made exactly the same with any standard Cornbread mix as well.  Bob's Red Mill also has a regular mix that is not gluten free that I would highly recommend.

GF Blueberry Cornbread Muffins
Ingredients:
1 Package Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread Mix
1.5 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds
Sprinkle of sugar

Directions:  Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions.  Next, gently stir blueberries in until mixed throughout the batter.  Spray either 6 (for jumbo) or 12 (regular size) muffin tins with non stick cooking spray.  Drop batter in tins, filling just to the top.  Top muffins with almonds and sprinkle approximately 1/2 tsp of sugar on top of each. (can omit sugar as well)  Bake according to package directions.  I always bake them about 5 minutes less than the package says in order to keep them moist. (will seem a little doughy at first but will set after a few minutes.)
Serve with honey and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com