Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sweet and Sour!

***Note: See Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Cookie Recipe for updated version!
This recipe comes from a high school, yes high school cooking class...  I think I enrolled in every foods class they offered to get my fix of cooking each day!  I still have a few recipes on hand, and this one is so easy, healthier than most sweet and sour recipes, and a quick dinner to prep. 
 This recipe is great for using leftover rice and chicken from previous meals prepared during the week.  I tend to get tired of leftovers (the other downfall=leftovers means you don't get to cook!) and try to implement them into new recipes (and not waste at the same time).  Use whatever veggies you prefer & have on hand.  I used kale, carrots, and green & red peppers.  Use leftover pork loin strips or chicken for the protein.  Serve over the top of brown rice & enjoy a Chinese night!
(So excited instagram is available for Droids now-what a great cover-up for my miserable photography skills!)
Sweet & Sour Chicken or Pork!
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb chicken or pork, cooked and cut in strips
1 1/4 c. pineapple chunks
reserved pineapple juice from can (1/3 cup)
2 T brown sugar
1 T cornstarch
2 T apple cider vinegar
1.5 T gluten free soy sauce (also called Tamari)
1 green pepper, julienned
1 red pepper, julienned
2 large carrots, coined
1 bunch kale, chopped
DIRECTIONS:
In a frying pan, saute veggies in 1 T canola oil until tender.  Add 1/2 cup water, pineapple and meat chunks.  Combine sugar and cornstarch; add pineapple juice, vinegar, and soy sauce.
Add cornstarch mixture to meat and veggies.  Cook and stir until sauce thickens.
Let simmer for ~5-10 minutes.  Serve over brown rice.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com