Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Kivu Chicken Recipe

A few summers ago, we made this recipe (a lot!) at Camp Kivu for the campers...After going through recipes the other day, I wanted to share a few of the favorites from camp...This is a much lower fat sesame chicken recipe than Chinese restaurants, being that it is not fried.  Along with the healthy component, this recipe is SUPER easy. I have to laugh every time I read my camp recipes and see how much we had to increase the recipes to serve 300+ campers....to give you an idea, we multiplied this recipe x 70!:-)
Hope you enjoy!
  Sesame Chicken
Serves 4-6
Image DetailINGREDIENTS
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce (tamari for GF)
1/2 cup water
1 T cornstarch
1/2 -1 tsp ground ginger
Pinch of garlic powder, to taste
1/2 -1 tsp red pepper flakes (we used cayenne)
1 T toasted sesame seeds
DIRECTIONS
1. Cut chicken breast into 1 inch strips.
2.  Head a large non-stick skillet that has been sprayed with cooking spray, over med-high heat.
3.  Cook chicken for about 6 mins, or until no longer pink.
4.  Mix together honey, soy sauce, water, corn starch, ginger, garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
5.  Whisk until no corn starch lumps appear.
6.  Pour sauce mixture into skillet with chicken.
7.  Cook until sauce thickens slightly.
8.  If sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
9.  Cover and simmer for 10 mins or until chicken starts to soak up sauce.
Garnish wish sesame seeds, and serve atop a bed of brown rice and veggies.
Enjoy!!!
Recipe Tips:
*This recipe is gluten free; make sure to buy gluten free soy sauce (also called Tamari).  La Choy brand soy sauce (lite) is gluten free as well, but will not state it on the label.

*When using any soy sauce, always look for the lite version, as it will have about 1/2 the amount of sodium as regular soy sauce.

*I like to add fresh broccoli to this recipe...You could add strips of bell peppers or any veggie of choice!

*Make lettuce wraps with iceberg lettuce leaves...Simply fill lettuce with chicken & veggie mixture!

*I like to double or triple the sauce recipe to have enough to pour over the rice and veggies!

Picture taken from onlinerecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com