Saturday, February 18, 2012

My "go-to" Chicken Recipe

A recent favorite of mine has been this simple, baked chicken (or salmon) with mustard sauce.  It is so easy and full of flavor!

I always have plain yogurt on hand (soy) to use interchangeably with both my cooking and baking.  Plain yogurt is a great fat substitute, can be used to make sweet or savory dips, used in place of sour cream, etc etc. Plus-you'll receive all the great health benefits yogurt has to offer; It's a great source of calcium, protein and healthy bacteria! I would highly recommend always having a container of this great stuff on hand;-)

With that being said, yogurt is used to make a tasty sauce for the chicken in this recipe; it is a great alternative to your average fat & sodium-laden cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or sour cream that is called for in many creamy sauce recipes.  Enjoy!!!

And I know...two chicken posts back to back...but-more exciting recipes to come soon! (once my life/work schedule slows down a bit:-)
Image Detail

Baked Chicken With Mustard Sauce
INGREDIENTS
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (or salmon)
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp garlic powder
 1 tsp onion powder
Mustard Sauce:
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt (I use soy)
3 T grainy mustard
2 tsp honey
2 tsp gluten free soy sauce (tamari)
2 T dill (optional)
Salt and pepper
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place chicken in greased baking dish.
3. Sprinkle chicken with garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
4. Mix together the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
5. Bake for ~25 minutes, or until chicken temps out at 165 degrees.
Serve with your favorite greens and roasted carrots.
Serve on top of quinoa or brown rice!

(Above picture from elanaspantry.com)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com