Friday, December 23, 2011

Homemade Larabars

Almost a month since I've blogged. Ah. A little internship update... I'll say my last rotation was very busy-I just finished my longest rotation at the hospital (clinical).  It was SO great... I definitely learned a ton working at the hospital and was challenged greatly- but, the rotation didn't leave much time for extras such as blogging:-)   At any rate, I am super excited about my next rotation with Cooking Matters, a program out of Denver which I will travel to various locations and teach cooking/healthy eating & nutrition classes to the less fortunate.  I don't think I could have picked a better degree!
I was able to come home for a few days for Christmas...Tomorrow, we (the fam) are headed to go cross country skiing. Tonight I made some homemade Larabars for tomorrow's little outing...
Image Detail

These are my favorite gluten free fruit and nut bars.  They contain anywhere from ~ 3-5 ingredients (which are all natural).  They are simple, healthy, and packed full of protein and fiber.
Homemade Larabars are super easy to make.  I went to the Larabar site (www.larabar.com) and created some flavors to mimic those of Larabar. (Note: This week Larabar released their new flavor-CAPPUCCINO. YUM!...can't wait to try my soon-to-be favorite flavor!) 
Below are the 4 different recipes I came up with...Enjoy!
LARABARS

Directions: (for all four bars)
1.  Coat a small clear baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients in food processor.
3.  Process until all ingredients are chopped well, and start to form a ball.
4.  Remove mixture from processor and press into bottom of baking dish, forming a layer approximately 1/2" thick.
5.  Place in refrigerator for 1 hr.  Remove and cut into bars. 
Enjoy!

Lemon Poppyseed
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
2 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 T poppyseeds
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Almond Cookie
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup almonds, toasted
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp almond extract
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cappuccino
1/4 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup raisins
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 T walnuts & pecans (mixed and toasted)
2 tsp instant coffee or whole coffee beans
dash of seat salt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mocha Crunch
1/4 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup raisins
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 2 T walnuts & pecans (mixed and toasted)
2 tsp instant coffee or whole coffee beans
dash of seat salt
1 T dark chocolate chips
2 tsp cocoa powder

These bars (Larabar brand or homemade) are both gluten free!
Merry Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com