Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Roasted Rosemary Root Veggies

Another dish to welcome in the cool, fall weather and experiment with some new veggies you've never thought to try!  I added one new veggie to my pile of other roots to roast this week.  Turnips were the round, potato-looking veggie that were added to my cart.  Each week, I have vowed to add a new leafy green or veggie to my cart; then I attempt to work it in to one of the recipes/meals I am making that week and test it out!
Below is an estimated recipe for this fall blend of veggies-You can add more or less of spices, veggies, vinegar, etc...you can't mess this up! Make sure to broil at the end as this adds a great caramelized glaze to the top.  Enjoy:-)


Roasted Rosemary Root Veggies


2 turnips, cut in french-fry slices
1/2 sweet onion, sliced
1 yellow potato, sliced in rounds
1 sweet potato, sliced in round coins
2 celery sticks, chopped in 1/2" bite pieces
1 large portabello mushroom, chopped in 1" pieces
3 large carrots, (or 1 c baby) chopped
1 large beet, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced

2-3 T rosemary sprigs
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup good balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray baking dish with pan spray.  Mix all veggies, spices, and oil in a large bowl until completely coated.  Pour in baking dish and drizzle vinegar evenly over the top of veggies.  Bake for ~ 40-50 minutes until veggies are just softened and tender. (not mushy!) Next, turn oven to broil, and broil for ~5-7 minutes until veggies have a nice glazed look.  Remove and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com