Friday, March 16, 2012

Orange Edamame Grain Salad

Here's another great Cooking Matters recipe that I tried the other night...I tweaked a few ingredients, (based on what I had in my pantry) and this is what I came up with! It's an easy, delicious spring salad to take to dinner parties or bbq's! 
Orange Edamame Grain Salad
Serves 12, 1/2 c per serving
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup (uncooked) short grain brown rice (or quinoa!)
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup shelled edamame beans (in the frozen section)
1 can Mandarin oranges, drained
3 green onions
1 cup dried currants (or cranberries)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
Pinch of Sea Salt
DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook rice according to package instructions.
2.  Set rice aside once cooked in medium bowl to cool.
3.  Preheat oven to 350.
4.  Spread almonds onto sprayed baking sheet.  Bake approx 10 mins or until almonds are golden brown. (or microwave for ~2 mins) Set aside.
5.  Cook edamame according to pkg directions until just tender. (I microwaved with a small amount of water) Set aside in refrigerator to chill.
6.  Drain mandarin oranges and rinse and chop green onions.
7.  In a medium bowl, mix oranges, dried fruit, edamame, green onions, and almonds with rice.
8.  In another bowl, whisk together lemon juice, honey, pepper and sea salt.  While still whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil until a dressing forms.
9.  Pour the dressing over the salad slowly using only enough to coat rice lightly and mix well. You probably won't need all of the dressing!  (Use leftovers for salad) Let salad rest at room temp for 10 mins to allow flavors to combine. 
Bon appetit!

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Calories: 210, Total Fat:10 g Fiber: 3 g Protein:4 g

 
Notes:
Use any type of nuts or dried fruit to your preference.
Add chicken to leftovers to create a rice bowl.
Use leftover rice (that has already been cooked) for a quick assembly!
Add any type of cooked beans or veggies to the salad, and experiment using different types of grains-I'm going to try quinoa next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com