Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Have a Mexican dinner night with Enchilada Soup!


Tonight I was craving Mexican food...chips, salsa, enchilada sauce and soup.  Those four things.  Soooo I raided my pantry, and found I was missing the key ingredient (enchilada sauce). Bum.mer.
 I looked to foodnetwork.com which had a great enchilada sauce recipe. I realized I have never made homemade enchilada sauce-so easy!  After making this simple (and quite tasty) enchilada sauce, I threw together a soup which turned out to be what I've termed: 
Smoky Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Soup.

This recipe is:
Quick (the quick after you get home from work late, and have no idea what to make for dinner)
Healthy
Mexican food craving satisfier
&
Gluten Free.
Enjoy!

Smoky Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Soup
                          INGREDIENTS
2-3 large chicken breasts, cooked and chunked
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
~2 cups chicken broth
1 c frozen corn
1 can diced green chiles
1/4 cup cilantro. chopped (or 1 T dried)
Salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Place all ingredients in large soup pot on stove.  Turn on med-high and let simmer for ~25 minutes.
While the soup is cooking/simmering, make the following enchilada sauce recipe:
Smoky Chipotle Enchilada Sauce
INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon sorghum flour (or all purpose for non gluten free)
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 10 ounces tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup liquid smoke
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

In a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, liquid smoke, oregano, and cumin. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. Adjust the seasonings.

Lastly...
Add 3/4 of enchilada sauce mixture to soup pot.  Stir continuously and let simmer.  Will be a thick soup base when done.  Add more or less enchilada sauce & spices as desired. Refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce for an enchilada Mexican night...and your homemade sauce is already complete!

Top soup with crumbled tortilla chips, more cilantro and slices of avocado.
Tips:
  • Experiment with enchilada sauce-If you have a favorite canned type you enjoy, use it in the place of the homemade sauce to save time. (will be ~ 2 cups of sauce needed)
  • Omit the liquid smoke if you don't prefer a smoky, chipotle taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome! As a Registered Dietitian with diet restrictions, I had a sparked interest to share healthy, gluten free recipes with readers! Over the years, cooking has truly become an obsession...and stress reliever. The last five years, I have had to learn how to cook and bake gluten free after being diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance. With that being said, I have researched, experimented and developed a whole new way to go about food preparation. I now mix all my flours, bake my own GF bread, and alter and create my own recipes. I would love to hear from you with questions, comments, recipe ideas and/or anything and everything in between. Hope you enjoy! Email with questions or comments at: sharleyschreiner@yahoo.com